Saturday, January 29, 2011

Look Up.

“They” (one presumes designers) say that you are supposed to hang art at eye’s height.  And, for the most part, I do that.

However, you could also say that I am fairly obsessed with putting things above eye level.  Drawing the eye up, as it were. 

Doorways are my favorite spot to toss little things.  Here are a few examples from my house that delight me whenever I notice them:



The top of a bookcase, or the dining room hutch, are also good spots for either no-longer-used-but-cool toys or necessary-but-beautiful items:


And then there are the annual snowflakes.  This year in the front hallway:

Of course, this doesn’t mean that every high spot in my house is a treasure.  There is, for example, the unbearable and seemingly permanent mess on the top of the refrigerator.


But, it’s worth it to look up.  Unexpected beauty can come out of it.  Like the morning that I looked up from my spot at the kitchen table and discovered frost on the kitchen window:

Or the walk that I took in Rockport and caught this picture of a tree.  It seems magical, doesn’t it?

The thing is, we all (myself included) spend far too much time looking down at our feet and hurrying through our days, our lives.  Every once in a while it’s important to remember to LOOK UP.

Look up at some point/s today.  What did you find? 

Is there some way you can put inspiration in a high spot in your own home or workplace? 



No comments:

Post a Comment