Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Tuned in, Turned off?

Last week, while sitting in the rather large waiting room before Sam's endocrine appointment, I looked up and glanced around the room. Suddenly, it occured to me:  Every single person except for me was staring at a smart phone.  Me?  I had a book in my hand.  Eventually, I saw one other woman with a book as well. 

It was eerie.  Even teenagers interacting with each other did so by showing each other stuff on their phones. 

Now, I know that I am something of a relic (I downgraded from a smart phone to just a regular cell phone, and I don't tweet)...but, I've got to wonder what's happened to us as a society when all we do is spend our time on tiny little screens.

It scares me, this constant busy-ness and tech connection.  For a while, I lost track of reading for pleasure because I was "too busy."  I might have mentioned earlier that coming back to it has been like coming back home to my true self.  I love the feel and smell of a book.  I love "falling" into it, whether it is fiction or nonfiction.  Kindle books aren't the same, though I will probably have to put up with them when in Ecuador next year.

I also love conversation, especially in person, but also on the phone, via letters, or even via email with the handful of people in my life (yes, you Kevin) who know how to treat it like real letter writing.  I have no great desire to share my thoughts in 140 words or less, or to stare at tiny little screens instead of talking with a real, live, breathing person.

I worry about a society in which few people ever experience the joy of reading a good book, or of engaging in a real, full (and in-person) conversation.  I wonder if I am made for this world, at this time.

Are there any modern "conveniences" that scare the heck out of you?

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree! Nothing is more satisfying than a conversation at the dinner table!

    ReplyDelete