Sunday, March 18, 2012

Quotes of Note

This afternoon, I finished a novel, and in it I found a line that I quite like:

"Life is not, as we are taught, a matter of seeking answers, but rather learning the questions which we should ask."
Kate Mosse, The Winter Ghosts

That got me thinking about some of my other favorite lines (a few of which might be slightly off due to the sieve that is my mind these days):

"We all owe death a life."
Salman Rushdie, Midnight's Children

"Historical Events are something more than events, because they are colored by humanity, which is always problematical."
Octavio Paz, Labyrinth of Solitude

"Alas, poor Mexico: so far from God, and so close to the United States."
Porfirio Diaz

"It rained four years, eleven months, and two days." (Granted, this one is most effective in context--so read the book.)
Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Year of Solitude

"To be less powerful does not mean to be powerless, or even to lose all the time."
Linda Gordon (forget which essay...it's been so many years...)

Then there are the lines that have come to me through reading with my kids:

"Of course.  The Big Bad Wolf does yoga."
Michael Buckley, The Sisters Grimm (book 2?)

"Sure as Sure."
Sarah Prineas, The Magic Thief (all three books)

"We're Space Guys.  We know what we're doing."
Daniel Pinkwater, Guys from Space

And of course, there's Howard's favorite line from Harry Potter VI (the movie, not sure if it's in the book or not):
"Ah, to be young, and to feel love's keen sting."

What are your favorite phrases?

1 comment:

  1. This is why I love you so :)

    One more to add:

    Let the Wookie Win.

    ReplyDelete