Friday, August 2, 2013

August

One of my colleagues once claimed that "August is the long, dark Sunday night of the academic soul."

I shared this with Heidi yesterday, and she agreed, adding "I feel like I have a term paper due tomorrow but am watching reruns instead of writing."

Yes, it's August...and everyone in academia feels the time ticking away, wondering how all that lovely time to do so very many projects while also enjoying a sane home life has...well, disappeared.  For my part, this means that I'm still working on the same conference paper that I started in June.  Sigh.  Well, it's got to get done, since I'm spending my very last days of August in England where I have to deliver it.  

Meantime, at least I have a minion to help me with my work:

(the kids gave me this a couple of weeks ago)

Well, I'll take comfort in another quote, from Flannery O'Connor, that I ran into in a book recently: 
“Accepting oneself does not preclude an attempt to become better.”

I'll work on that.  And on not panicking.

What's August mean for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment