Wednesday, May 9, 2012

For the love of books

I must be doing something right as a parent, because yesterday my kids were thrilled when I gave them (a) the just-released book in Michael Buckley's Sisters Grimm series (the series closer), and (b) bubble wrap.  Okay, this post isn't really about bubble wrap, but I had to mention it.

I also heard that Maurice Sendak died yesterday, in his early 80s.  His were some of my favorite books to read to the kids when they were young, and Samuel had them memorized from a very early age.

Here he is, at about age 2, "roaring his terrible roar" while "reading" Where the Wild Things Are (followed, of course, by rolling terrible eyes and gnashing his terrible teeth and showing his terrible claws).

And, here he is a few years later reading (or "reading"?) In the Night Kitchen to wee little Anya.  She always did love having him read to her. For a long time, whenever I baked with Sam, we had to chant "Milk in the batter, milk in the batter.  Stir it, scrape it, make it, bake it!" 

Books have shaped my life from an early age.  As a lonely eight-year-old, I would immerse myself in books from the local library.  Now, almost forty years later, books are shaping my own kids--and my parenting.  Thank you, Maurice Sendak, Michael Buckley, and many, many other writers who have led children down the path to life-long reading.

What are/were your favorite children's books?

1 comment:

  1. Of course I only remember those I read to the kids (because I certainly can't remember if I had any read to me).

    Certainly snoozers is up there, but, so is a lot of Munsch (sp?), notably the paper bag princess. Also like the princess knight as well.

    With Samuel I've really gotten into some of the older books, like the 39 Clues Books and the Percy Jackson books. They have been a lot of fun to read, and, so much better because we get to see them through their eyes!

    ReplyDelete