Monday, June 17, 2013

This Sunday













It was a most ordinary Sunday:

  • I went for my usual walk in the morning, after sleeping in a bit.
  • I talked for a while with one of the neighbors.
  • We had to do a lot of organizing, and grocery shopping.
  • The kids played with familiar toys, read books, played outside, and drew.
  • I sipped my favorite tea in my favorite tea mug.
  • I  knit, and read (but not at the same time).
  • I listened to NPR off and on all day.
  • We all ate favorite foods.  The kids were particularly enthusiastic about snacks.
  • I baked blueberry muffins in the cool hours of the evening.
So, why did Anya say "It feels like we're in a fancy hotel?" at one point, while eating about her 10th snack of the day?

Because we are home after five months away.  Our Quito apartment was nice...but it wasn't home.  It's not just "stuff"--though that's part of it.  It wasn't the atmosphere in which we relax best and most deeply.  They weren't the walls, rooms, and objects with our stories in them.  Here, in New England, it is.

Hope you all had a lovely Fathers' Day.  We're planning to celebrate ours next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment