Sunday, May 25, 2014

Potential











In the past five or six years, I've tried a lot of new things:

  • knitting
  • taking photos and making cards
  • making calendars
  • lots of new recipes and cooking
  • canning (mostly jam)
  • yoga
  • making body balms and shower gels
...and although I've become an expert in none of these things, I've had fun and some success with all of them.

So this year, now that we are settled in one place, it was time to try my hand at a garden again.  Not just potted herbs.  Today, with the help of a new friend (Leslie), I got a few raised beds planted.  Anya helped every step along the way, too! (She particularly liked playing with the hose, but she also planted.)

My new garden consists of:
  • tomatoes (grape, plum, and large)
  • carrots
  • celery
  • broccoli
  • red cabbage
  • collard
  • chard
  • baby pak choi
  • butternut squash
  • spaghetti squash
  • romaine lettuce
  • buttercrunch lettuce
  • ...and a little bit of cucumber
  • (The potted herbs will happen tomorrow, on the deck.  I've done those before.)
There isn't a lot of anything, and it probably won't all thrive.  But hopefully some of it will, and I will add "amateur gardener" to my list of identities.  

It was a lovely Sunday today.  A morning walk followed by yoga class.  Then a relaxed time with coffee followed a little later by a big salad lunch. Topped off by a whole afternoon of picking out vegetables and planting them.  I am a good tired today.

Sundays are great.  Forties are great, too.  Look at all the fun stuff I've done in my forties...and that doesn't even include all the work stuff (like doing faculty development, publishing books, getting a Fulbright, getting tenure, and eventually promotion to full professor).  All of this came, both professional and personal, when I stopped letting pressure and expectation rule me.  

What's next on your list of things you want to learn to do?

What's a lovely Sunday look like to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment