Thursday, January 8, 2015

Wishful Cleaning?




Tonight, apropos of nothing, I started cleaning off my desk and some of the messier shelves in my bookcases (well, the ones that I could actually take care of in an evening).  

On campus today, I finally committed to moving my office to a new (slightly, slightly larger) one--mostly to force myself to get rid of much of the 12 years of clutter that's accumulated there. (My office at BSU is really awful vis-a-vis organization.) I also aspire to getting nice things up on the wall there, and maybe even a lamp that's not florescent.  I am going in on Monday to tackle that.

Am I just trying to avoid the work I need to do?  (That weekly planner on my desk has a LONG list of things I need to get done tomorrow, and more for next week...)

Am I harboring illusions that a clean office will bring some kind of calm and control to the oncoming storm that is Spring 2015?

Is this middle-age crisis?

I have no idea.  I just know that it feels soooo much nicer to see the floor in my home office, and I'm ridiculously excited about a "new" office on campus.  

I also know that, no matter how much work I do on this, it's a Sisyphian task to try to "get on top" of this.  And yet, I dream of the day when I have my work spaces organized such that I know just what's in them, and I can work effectively and efficiently.  

My goals for this year are:
1) to move my BSU office--getting rid of massive amounts of paper, organizing my bookshelves (and keeping them that way-??!!), and digitizing my essays and articles that are around everywhere.

2) Making this new BSU office look less industrial and depressing.

3) digitizing all of my articles and essays in my home office filing cabinet (and looming around in my bookshelves).

4) Getting cracking on all those lovely books and documents from Ecuador that I haven't touched in over a year.

Yup, that's it. Wishful cleaning.  But a gal can dream, can't she?

No comments:

Post a Comment