Saturday, June 11, 2011

Back in the Saddle

I am, at long last, doing more of the research that I came here to do. I'm not yet entirely sure where it's going to take me, but there is something seductive about archives.  I can feel the excitement just finding myself near old volumes.  Here are some pictures of the stacks that I took at the Museo Nacional de Medicina, where I am allowed to wander around to look for what I need!


The main problem with this archive (aside from the disastrous impact of having had movers who jumbled all the volumes of documents) is that it's veerryyy high up.  And I have this mild fear of heights.  Every time I get too close to the railing, my legs start to tingle, trying to tell me to move them in the opposite direction. Alas, my greed for documents wins out over self-preservation.

And then, it doesn't hurt at all that this is the kind of view that I have as I enter and leave this particular archive:


I'm also doing some work at the Banco Central, mainly in the Fondo de Ciencia Humanas...but no photos of that (yet).  Dear Christa was my introduction there, and she is a wonderful research buddy. 

On Monday, it will be time to get my considerable rear end over to the Archivo Nacional de la Historia and get a feel for what's there.   Hopefully, I'll get to return there in a year or two.  And to Ecuador more generally.  There is just too much to do in a month or so....

So many documents...so little time...

What part of your work is just...irresistable?

No comments:

Post a Comment