Sunday, January 8, 2012

Conference Calls

I just attended the American Historical Association, onto which the Conference of Latin American Historians "piggybacks."  Some observations, discoveries, reminders from the conference:

1) Urban or small town, I love a good view.  Here are a couple from my hotel room:




2) A bunch of crazy people think I look like Brooke Larson, which I do about as much as my daughter Anya looks like me (which is to say: not at all). 

3) Book exhibit price reductions on Sunday at the conference are the best ever, and it's probably a good thing that I couldn't stay longer this morning to peruse the publisher tables.

4) Latin Americanists arefar more laid back than many of the other conference goers (particularly Ecuadorianists and Bolivianists, which is mostly who I hung out with). 

5) I maintain the ability to miss the hell out of the kids while loving constant grownup interaction.

6) Reminder to self: wine on an empty stomach does not work well for me.

7) Chicago in January is absolutely lovely--as long as there are near-record highs. 

What did you discover this weekend?

1 comment:

  1. You were in Chicago this weekend?! I could have driven down to see you... but I realize it was work-time for you.

    ReplyDelete